This is a summary I made after reading a bit of John Paul Jackson’s book, “Unmasking the Jezebel Spirit.” Please note that a single characteristic does not indicate someone has a “full blown” Jezebel spirit. It may simply mean that the person is spiritually and emotionally immature. Whenever a combination of three or more of the characteristics exist, there is a strong indication that an individual is being influenced by a Jezebel spirit.
1) The Jezebel spirit has a pretense of exalting God, but it always exalts self.
2) Works to build strongholds in a person’s mind.
3) Its goal is to disable and destroy individuals, ministries, and the church.
4) The longer someone operates in a controlling and manipulative way without repenting from doing so, the stronger this spirit grows.
5) The name Jezebel is Phoenician in origin and means “un-husbanded”. Although she was married, Jezebel’s lack of submission proved marriage meant nothing to her.
6) Submits to no one. Instead, requires that everyone submit to her.
Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess.Revelation 2:20 (NIV)
7) Every action taken is done with unholy abandonment. She is an intimidating figure, a rose with razor sharp thorns.
8) Impossible to ignore. She plans seductive maneuvers to entice men.
9) Reacts defensively when their authority is challenged.
10) Defile everything it touches.
11) Just as Ahab permitted Jezebel to sacrifice children as a form of worship, the driving spirit behind abortion is kept alive by the Jezebel spirit.
12) Through self-promoting, controlling, and manipulative schemes, this spirit also seeks to abort those who are young or immature in the Lord.
13) Her influence corrupts the church and defile many.
14) Seeks to destroy and silence God’s prophets because in doing so, she destroys the testimony of Jesus.
15) Self-proclaimed and self-anointed who advertise their spiritual gifts.
16) Responds harshly to any criticism, and shifts the blame for various problems onto others.
17) Talks disrespectfully about other ministries, and reveals personal information shared with them.
18) Sows lawlessness and divisiveness in a church.
19) Needs to be noticed. Need for public affirmation.
20) Deceived into believing that they are more spiritually sensitive than others. They tend to assume they are always correct.
21) Believe that they are immune to sin and deception because of their spiritual maturity.
22) Unteachable and unyielding
23) Demand blind obedience from everyone
24) Expects honor and adulation from others.
25) Rarely finds things going well in a church.
26) Wants others to become dependent upon his or her input, the person must prove spiritual maturity that even surpasses that of the pastor.
27) Demands to have the “last word” on all church matters.
28) Eagerly seeks to prophetically minister to people, driven by a need for the affirmation of others.
29) Directly or indirectly, a Jezebel spirit will subtly spread doubts about the pastor, church leaders, and other prophetic individuals, especially those who do not endorse Jezebel.
30) Likes to impart its anointing through the laying on of hands. However, Jezebel’s touch carries a curse.
31) Often, this person will let many people know they have spent hours in prayer or in fasting, or they gave their money away.
32) Believing they are a “special instrument” of God, such individuals often isolate themselves from others and take a separate path, feeding their independent spirit.
33) Actions are overly exaggerated. Their vocabulary and orations will become unnecessarily dramatized.
34) If Jezebel is married, their mate will be spiritually weak, miserable, or unsaved.
35) Their mate often becomes lazy, sluggish, and repressed. The husband allows his wife to dominate and control him, but secretly he despises and hates her for it.
36) Sexual intimacy between them takes a back seat to her spiritual needs. He quietly begins to search for other means of meeting his needs eg: flirtatious acts, porn, cyber sex, or other ways to alleviate his relational pain and make himself feel good and in control.
37) She may not demonstrate her power openly when friends visit. However, her control will be reinforced when she is alone with her husband.
38) Often maintains control over her husband through the marriage bed. She rewards his obedience with sexual gratification. When her husband rebels, she withholds sexual intimacy.
39) Criticize and belittles her husband, telling him he’s not spiritual enough, bold enough, making enough money, or that he’s holding her back from the ministry.
40) Talks about submission and obedience to her husband, but both her husband and children know that it’s all talk. It’s not reality.
41) Desperate for attention, they desire the infatuation and idolatry of men, who are then led to their death.
42) Demanding and has a prideful spirit
43) Loving the acclaim of others, they give themselves a title or seek after a leadership position.
44) Consider themselves as “more-anointed” while others are “less-anointed” or as not having a voice in the church or spiritual matters.
45) Zealous to market their gifts and broaden their sphere of influence. Often such individuals will not consult the Lord about where and when to minister, they will simply yield to the need for greater press. As their success increases, they will run to deliver many words, although God has not sent them.
46) They believe that as their reputation increases, God’s kingdom will also increase. However, they are sadly deceived.
47) May read people’s souls and later present this soulish insight as divinely inspired prophecy.
48) Has a lust for money, favor, or recognition.
49) Tries to control the actions of friends, families, and churches. Whenever false humility, lies, and flattery do not bring about the expected esteem and recognition, they often resort to anger, condemnation, accusation, and domination.
50) Often presents those who disagree with them as being spiritually blind or naive.